The UK does not want 'Hooters'. It is a retrograde step for a country dedicated to gender equality

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Responding to some criticisms… Part Four

Many people think we are targeting the women who work at Hooters – whether by blaming them for choosing to work there, or by judging them. We regularly get accused of believing that the women who work there are unintelligent, have no other talents than their appearance, and that they have been forced to work there.

I cannot be much more clear than saying: we never said these things. Our campaign is not to put women out of work, nor to mock their ‘career choice’ (though one can’t help but wonder why, if they are as intelligent as they keep telling us they are, they fail to see they’re being exploited by a patriarchal system, or they use their often –mentioned qualifications and skills to earn a higher income in a better job. Recession issues, aside.) We have no argument with the individuals who have made the choice to work there, or enter bikini contests, or perform cheerleader and hula hoop routines in front of drunken men. We may wonder why they want to do it (and would welcome their comments – if given without abuse), but we are not telling them they should not do it.

We know that is not what feminism, equality and liberalism is about.

For ill-informed people to continually claim otherwise is unhelpful and misleading.

1 comment:

  1. As an employee of Hooters Cardiff, I can honestly say I've never been so insulted by an Anti-hooters campaign. I, personally have a degree in business as well as cosmetology, I work part time for an estate agency and part time at Hooters. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy my estate agent job and it pays the bills, however, working for Hooters is amazing!!! I don't feel on display or 'objectified'.
    I wear more clothing to work at hooters than 95% of women in this country wear out on a Saturday night yet no one appears to be doing anything about that.
    If you do post this comment I'll be shocked as it appears your quite happy to 'welcome' comments from the girls who actually work at hooters and love their job but are still not posting any to show to people who are interested in both sides of the story.
    Any hooters girl will completely agree with me that we are not mistreated. For this I will even refer to my manager Greg's earlier comment that we are 'treated like queens' which is more than most women in the workforce can say they feel that they are treated at their place of employment.
    I suggest before making any more comments about my "substandard" choice of employment, you actually get some feed back from the women who work there.

    ReplyDelete

Please note these comments are moderated and may take a while to appear on the site. The moderation policy is on the front page of the blog.