The UK does not want 'Hooters'. It is a retrograde step for a country dedicated to gender equality

Saturday 25 September 2010

Applying for a job as Hooters' Girl - part two

Ooh, my nerves, my nerves. Saturday has dawned, I’m all of a-fluster. Why? Because today, at 1pm, I will get one step nearer to fulfilling my dream of becoming a world famous Hooters Girl. Tacky and unrefined it may be, but it would be great to work somewhere with such a positive attitude to women, in such a women-friendly environment, to meet all those lovely gentlemen AND to get paid for it. What would be better?

So I put a bit of slap on, a low-cut top and my very best Converse (well, I can’t sell my soul completely), and headed off to Harbourside. It was a lovely late-September day, the sun was out, and masses of families and young people were having a hoot enjoying BrisFest by the side of the water. A great family day out.

Just around the corner from the new Hooters venue (where, sickeningly, the sign went up yesterday – I took some photos, which will be attached, before I got chased off by an irate builder in a hard hat – and no, that’s not a euphemism), is Bristol’s family-friendly science museum, @Bristol, where Hooters had hired some space for interviews. Following the signs (see attached photos), I went in, asked the receptionist for directions, and she pointed me to the lift and told me to go to the second floor.

En route to the lift, I passed lots of families with very young children, all having fun in the café and enjoying the exhibitions, or posing with the big statue of Morph. Ahh, lovely to see kids enjoying themselves. I even shared the lift with some very young children (maybe six years old?) as I headed up for the second floor. As I did, I wondered what other kind of young ladies would be sharing the lift with other young children that day, and what sort of scantily-dressed women here for the audition those kids were going to see. Tasteful.


Out on the second floor, a tacky piece of laminated A4 with ‘Hooters’ and the logo on was blu-tac-ed to the door, so I nervously went in. There was no one there, and it felt cold, empty and miserable. A young man, Alex, came out to greet me, and showed me into the ‘office’ – through a door with a poster of a Hooters’ girl tacked on. Inside were several people working there, who all looked at me doubtfully (I’m in my early 30s and look like a normal person, rather than a pneumatic doll), none of them offered me a drink from the many arranged on a table, but they gave me a form (the same as on the website) to fill in, before my interview.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note these comments are moderated and may take a while to appear on the site. The moderation policy is on the front page of the blog.